Keeping the lawn tidy is a symbol of status for suburban homeowners, and the finest high-wheel lawn mower helps you to achieve that. Having a home garden that is neat and clean and full of flora and fauna is perhaps one of the coolest things that you can do.
It is hard, though, to keep a lawn clean. Grass grows very fast and can attract lots of pests. So you must keep your lawn clean for health reasons and aesthetic reasons.
Today we will see the high-wheel lawn mowers for better lawn care. We will review the highest-reviewed high-wheel lawn mowers, and discuss the top features that make a high-wheel lawn mower the finest in the market. In addition, you will find that in the buying guide section. And we will answer the FAQs.
Let’s find out what the list includes.
Finest High Wheel Lawn Mower Reviewed: Our Top 8 Picks
These are our picks for the push lawn mowers with high wheels.
Greenworks 25022 is one of the highest rated lawn mowers on the market today; it is also the highest reviewed high wheel lawn mower. It comes with great recommendations and customer satisfaction. Let’s see all the features of this mower.
First off, there are three styles of this same mower. We are reviewing on of the corded high wheel models. But there are low wheel models with 2 four Ah batteries and another 24v model with USB batteries.
This mower is a corded, electric model that is powered by a direct AC current. It has a rear wheel with a size of 10 inches, and the front wheel is 7 inches. This self propelled lawn mower with large rear wheels makes it easier to cut tall and thick grass and work on hilly terrain; you can mow uphill and downhill.
This high wheel lawn mower comes with a 20 inch steel deck and a powerful motor with 12 amp. It allows you to cut grass faster and cleaner. It is efficient.
Because this is an electric lawn mower, this is better and efficient than battery powered models and gas lawn mowers. This is a 3 in 1 lawn mower. You can mulch with the sharp blades mulch kit; it is very easy to do. It comes with a rear bag for bagging, and it has side discharge options that make it easier to discharge the cutting grass debris.
The power cord is 100 feet long so that you can use it for a longer and relatively larger yard. It has an easy push start on the engine that uses no gas or oil and is environmentally friendly.
It has folding handles that allow easy and compact storage. You can use this best mower at 7 adjustable heights; this means no more bending over and hurts backs.
There is a cord retainer or pull cord for your convenience. Greenworks 25022 self propelled mower is not an expensive mower.
The price falls in the mid-range. And the manufacturer provides a four-year warranty. You can buy this to cut grass and better mulching even on steep hills and to have the grass clippings in discharge chute in no time.
- Best self propelled lawn mowers for your residential lawns
- Push lawn mowers with 10 inch large rear wheels
- 20 inch sharp blades to cut thick grass
- Walk behind mower with steel deck, better than plastic decks, super-cut quality
- Good deck size with mulching blade and mulch side discharge
- Adjustable mowing height
- No worry about battery power, not gas mower, electric mower
- Not an expensive mower, electric start pull cord retainer
- Best electric mower with four years warranty
- Power cord and pressure washers not included
Craftsman M215 159cc 21-Inch 3-in-1 High-Wheeled FWD Self-Propelled Gas Powered Lawn Mower with Bagger
Craftsman Gas Mower comes with a 159 cc engine size with overhead valves. This best gas mower has a smooth recoil and an auto choke. It is easier to start than electric start lawn mowers.
It is a self propelled lawn mower that comes with variable speed controls with a low-speed setting. This allows you to adjust the speed to your personal pace. You don’t have to push or pull the lawn mower; you can walk your natural walk to your mowing experience.
The Craftsman gas mowers come with a 21-inch cutting deck with height positions adjustment. There are six adjustable levels of cutting height; you can control that with a dial.
The lawn mowers come with a price point that comes with a higher price tag, but this is a premium product with premium features.
- Gas mower with 21 inch cutting deck with excellent mulching
- Variable speed for fine grass clippings with high rear wheels
- Dual lever for height adjustments
- Front wheel drive push mowers, electric start
- Push lawn mowers can be set to a personal pace system or walking speed
- 3 in 1 Bagger, Mulch, Side Discharge good for larger lawns
- Push mowers with a high price tag, not ideal for tight spaces
EGO Power+ LM2142SP 21-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Electric Dual-Port Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower
PeakPower technology comes with 2 Ego ARC Li ion batteries for your mowing experience. The two batteries are 56V and 5.6 Ah in power.
This cordless lawn mower comes with a high efficiency brushless motor. This is a powerful motor that can cut grass with ease; this motor comes with variable speed. This self propelled lawn mower comes with 6 different blade height adjustment that allows you to cut grass at different heights.
This is a universal lawn mower that can use many parts from other brands like cub cadet and so on. This is a self propelled lawn mower with 3 in 1 function. You have mulching, bagging, and side discharge.
There is a quick and easy push button to start the lawn mower. It comes with a 21 inches deck that makes cutting grass easier.
PeakPower self propelled lawn mower has a one handed height adjustment that is very convenient for cutting grass without tiring yourself. There are bright LED headlights for your convenience.
The price of this self propelled lawn mower is a bit high, but it comes with a 5 year warranty for you. The features can be said to be deserving such a price.
- A cordless mower with 21 inch cutting deck
- Variable speed cutting power self propelled mowers
- One handed height adjustment rear-wheel drive
- Push mowers with electric start led headlights
- Push lawn mower come with 5 year warranty
- 3 in 1 bagger, Mulch, Side Discharge
- High price tag than other self propelled mowers
This is another Greenworks product on our list. This is a manual push mower from Greenworks. This is different from the other Greenworks product; it is not a corded model. This is a cordless lawn mower that comes with a strong battery.
The Greenworks G Max push lawn mower comes with a 40V Li ion battery; this powerful battery can give you a long time service to cut grass on your lawn. The lawn mower comes with one 4 Ah 40V battery and one 2 Ah 40V battery.
The battery charges 100% in about 1.5 hours. It is relatively fast and very convenient. There is a charge status light that shows you how much charge it has left. The batteries are easy to install for convenience. The battery backup mowing time is about 1.25 hours; that is more than enough time to mow your lawn.
The Greenworks G max cordless lawn mower (twin force mower) comes with two blades that rotate in different directions. The 20 inches cutting deck can be very useful in cutting the grass very closely and neatly.
There are 5 adjustable heights that range from 1 and 3/4 inches and 3 and 3/8 inches. It is very convenient to use and has maximum maneuverability.
There are mulching blades for cutting the grass finely, and a rear discharge chute allows you a cleaner cut and no residue yard work. The G max cordless lawn mower comes with a convenient battery charger and an owner’s manual.
This push lawn mower is a premium product with a premium price. The machine itself has a 4 year warranty and 2 years warranty for the batteries.
- Self propelled cordless mower for your residential lawns
- Push mowers with two 20 inch sharp blades to cut thick grass into small grass clippings
- One of the finest walk behind mowers with steel deck and high rear wheel, manual reel
- Good deck height with a mulching blade, rear discharge, and side discharge chutes
- 5 Adjustable mowing height, 2 high quality batteries with great battery life for mowing a quarter acre
- Electric start Cordless electric mowers with Four years warranty
- Not suited for much bigger lawns & gardens
This Earthquake lawn mower is another premium quality machine on our list. You can see the features in the following section.
This walk behind lawn mower comes with a Cycle Briggs & Stratton engine. It cuts grass, weed, and even bush. The rear wheel is 14 inches. It allows you to move through thick grass, weeds, brush, nettles, and other foliage.
The walk behind lawn mower comes with a 22 inch cutting deck. The cutting deck is a solid build steel deck. This gives the mower strength and stability; the lawn mower reduces vibration to give the top-notch performance.
The adjustable handle bar is tool less and has adjustment knobs that give you easy storage and easy carry around. The setup comes ready to use. You just need to take it out of the box, and it is good to go. The box comes with starter stings for the mower head and 4 cycle engine oil.
The price tag of this lawn mower is higher than others. But it comes with a five year warranty and 2 year warranty on the engine. You can buy these lawn mowers for uphill and downhill mowing experiences.
- A cordless mower with 22 inch cutting deck
- Variable speed self propelled mowers
- Push mowers with 14 inches rear wheels
- Push lawn mowers with 5 year warranty
- 3 in 1 bagger, mulch, side discharge
- Noisier than its couterparts
Troy Bilt TB130 is one of the premium Troy Bilt lawn mowers on the market. This is a TriAction lawn mower, which means it comes with a rake bumper that lifts the grass upright. The uniquely designed blade gives you a finer cut and mulch.
The cutting deck comes with a symmetrical 21-inch cutting deck. This ensures there is less clumping.
Troy Bilt lawn mower is a lightweight lawn mower that is easy to use. You can use this lawn mower in your smaller yard, even if there is uneven terrain there. The features allow side discharge, mulching, and rear bagging. There is a Honda mowers engine. Troy Bilt lawn mower engine has an automatic choke release, so it will not flood the engine with fuel.
There are six adjustable heights on the Troy Bilt lawn mower for cutting grass in different heights. This makes sure you get a thorough grass cut and equal cut. The mulching function on Troy Bilt’s lawnmower cuts the grass in finer pieces; this allows the grass to be clipped in a smaller size. Troy Bilt mower mulching makes sure that the grass decomposes easily and returns the nutrients to nature.
Troy Bilt lawn mower comes with a small Honda Mowers engine that uses oil or gas to cut grass easily. This powerful motor is very durable.
Troy Bilt lawn mower comes with 6 position height adjustment, and you can control it with a dual lever. It comes with a 21 inch rustproof and wide deck design with a sharp and rustproof blade.
There is a 1.9 bushel rear bag that collects the grass clipping. The side chute comes with a built in clip that keeps the chute in place.
This is a gas mower; Troy Bilt lawn mower comes with a reasonable price considering all the features.
- Cordless mower with 21-inch cutting deck sizes
- Variable speed rear-wheel drive
- 11 inches rear wheel, dual lever
- 2 years limited warranty, less maintenance
- 3 in 1 Bagger, Mulch, Side Discharge
- No double ball bearings
PowerSmart is a high quality gas lawn mowers product. It is a high-wheel mower for your home; this is a powerful mower with 4 stroke gas engine.
This is a mobile and powerful gas lawn mower. It comes with a single gas cylinder; it can cut thick grasses. You can use this to cut the toughest of grass with this gas mower.
PowerSmart high wheel lawn mower comes with a forced air cooling system that makes sure your engine doesn’t overheat and cause problems.
The steel deck for mowing is a 20 inch deck. This gives you the thorough cuts and the neatest. It comes with 8 adjustable positions that allow you to cut grass at different heights. You can cut grass from 1.21 inches to 3.15 inches. This adjustable height makes it easier to cut grass without tiring yourself.
PowerSmart high wheel lawn mower comes with a 3 in 1 capability. You have a discharge chute and mulching capability. It spreads the grass clippings to the side; this allows the nutrients to go back to the ground.
The gas lawn mower’s rear wheel is 11 inches tall; it allows you to cut grass uphill and downhill and in rough terrain. The discharge chute is 14.6 gallon bag size.
The gas tank size is 0.21 gallons, and you can 16.9 fluid oz. You can fold the gas lawn mower for easy storage and tidily store it for a long time.
PowerSmart gas lawn mowers come with a price tag that can be called a high price. But it comes with 3 year warranty, and all the features make the price a fair bargain.
- Gas powered mower for finer grass clippings
- Self propelled with 10 inch large rear wheels
- Push mowers with 20 inch sharp blades to cut thick grass
- Good deck height with mulching blade and side discharge
- 8 adjustable mowing height rear-wheel drive with better airflow
- 3 years warranty with this self propelled mower for enough power mowing
- Expensive mowers, too high price for some people
It’s not necessary to invest a lot of money upfront to make the move to a green lawn mower. Even though it’s less expensive, this Sun Joe battery-powered lawnmower still packs a punch in terms of cutting strength and reliability.
First-time lawn mower users or those with smaller to medium-sized lawns can consider the Sun Joe 24-X2-17LM Battery Powered lawn mower. With a cutting width of 17 inches, it is not so limited that you will have to mow your lawn multiple times, causing you to become exhausted in the process.
Moreover, the compact design and light weight construction, as well as the easy-glide wheels, allow for lots of movement around things.
A height-adjustment lever is included in the mower. All four wheels may be adjusted by simply moving the lever to one of the six positions. Trimming heights range from one to three inches.
It is possible to gather grass clippings in an 11-gallon bag or install a mulching plug and return nutrients to the lawn as well as the soil.
This is a great option for people with a modest to medium-sized yard. The 670 watt motor is built to run efficiently for 65 minutes on a single charge. The mower’s wheel configuration, short cutting path, and lightweight construction make it easy to maneuver even for first-time users.
This is a simple electric lawn mower that requires nothing in the way of maintenance. There is a two-year warranty included with the mower, and you can extend that for an additional price of up to three years.
- Adjustable deck
- 6 height options for cutting
- Ideal for beginners
- Comes with a battery and dual chargers
- Easy to use
- Extendable warranty
- Limited voltage and runtime
- Maintaining the iON batteries can be challenging
Low Wheel Lawn Mower vs. High Wheel Lawn Mower
Low wheel lawn mower and high wheel lawn mower have 8 inch diameter front wheels. In this case, the two types are similar. The difference occurs on the rear wheel. While low wheel lawn mowers have 8 inch rear wheel, high wheel lawn mower has 9 to 12 inch diameter rear wheel. This creates a difference in functionality and use. And this can cause the prices to vary by a lot.
Low wheel or standard sized lawn mowers with front wheels sizes can be hard to work with on rough and uneven ground because of their design. It has harder to cut, mulch grass, and other weeds with a low wheel lawn mower in such grounds. But high wheel mowers can be very useful in such conditions.
High wheel lawn mowers can be used to work uphill yards. These mowers move laterally across and give you a cleaner cut throughout.
Now that we have covered that let’s see the types of high wheel lawn mowers on the market.
Lawn mowers can differ over so many specifics, like power source, cutting system, engine option, drive system, and other considerations. We will go over these issues.
Different Types of High Wheel Lawn Mower
High wheel lawn mowers are often called push mowers or rear wheel mowers. Buying one can be hard, and buying a high wheel lawn mower is harder because there are so many options advertised as a high wheel model, but it isn’t. To recognize the difference, we need to understand the difference between a low wheel mower and a high wheel mower.
Let’s start with the power source.
Walk-Behind Lawn Mower
Walk-behind lawn mowers are the most common type of lawn mower. These are not always powered by any power sources. These are often called manual lawn mower or reel mowers; it comes with rotating blades or knives. As you push the mower, these blades or knives rotate to cut the grass.
Walk-behind lawn mowers are perfect for small yards or lawns. These are compact and not powered by oil, gas, or electricity. There is no mechanical maintenance, so there are cleaner and relatively easier to maintain.
Self Propelled Lawn Mower
Self propelled lawn mowers use some sort of fuel or power source. Typically gas, oil, or electricity. These are easier to operate when it comes to cutting. These save time and energy. There are a few subtypes of Self propelled lawn mowers. These mowers are better for large yards with rough and uneven terrain. There are several subtypes of self propelled lawn mowers and front-wheel drive.
Electricity Powered Lawn Mowers
Electricity powered electric lawn mowers are very convenient and don’t really need much maintenance. Electric lawn mowers are mainly two types-
- Corded Lawn Mowers
These electric high wheel lawn mowers are powered directly by electricity. It is very user friendly and easy to use. These mowers are available in all types, push, ride, and automatic lawn mowers can be powered by electricity. These are easier to maintain, and most corded lawn mowers do not require much care than cleaning the blades every once in a while.
- Cordless Lawn Mowers
Unlike corded lawn mowers, cordless lawn mowers do not require any wires. It has more freedom to roam around. It uses batteries, like Lithium ion batteries and other battery types, to store energy to work. Usually, these lawn mowers have a backup time of around an hour. But some brands make longer lasting lawn mowers. These mowers cost a bit more.
Gas Or Oil Powered Lawn Mowers
Gas or oil powered lawn mowers are the most common types of mowers available. These are reliable, mobile, and cut more grass in one go. Their asking price is a whole lot less than the electric lawn mowers.
They run longer and are cost effective options for your lawn cleaning needs. The downsides of these lawnmowers have a high noise level and cause carbon dioxide emissions. These machines require more maintenance than others. These mowers are available in all the styles like High wheel, low wheel, front-wheel drive, push lawn mower, and riding mower.
Your mower purchase is also affected by the cutting style consideration. Most high wheel lawn mowers come with bagging options; you can bag the grass you cut for a cleaner yard. But some options come with a mulching blade or mulch kit. These blades cut your grass into smaller pieces; better mulching causes the grass to decompose faster. This gives the nutrients back to the ground, makes it fertile for gardening.
This is a personal preference, frankly.
High Wheel Lawn Mower Buying Considerations
- The power that keeps the mower blades spinning is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lbs) by engine torque. In dense or tall grass cuttings, higher torque provides a better cut.
- The cutting width refers to how large a swath of grass you can mow in one pass.
- The blade is stopped from rotating by a blade brake clutch while the engine continues to run. You may use this function to empty the grass collection bag without having to restart the mower.
- Single-speed or variable-speed self-propelled mowers are available. You may choose your own pace with a variable-speed mower. Some mowers allow you to regulate the speed with either hand.
- On a cordless mower, a dual-battery system extends the cutting duration.
- In a gasoline engine, cylinder displacement refers to the size of the cylinder. Manufacturers use cubic centimeters (cc) to quantify displacement. A larger cc size indicates a more powerful engine capable of handling heavy cutting.
- Changing the height of the cut using a dual or single lever height adjustment is easier than adjusting a lever at each wheel.
- A gas mower with a no prime engine starts faster and easier.
- A cordless mower’s voltage (V) and a corded mower’s amperage (amps) show power output. More power equals higher readings.
Care And Maintenance Guide For High Wheel Lawn Mowers
- Maintenance on a hard, level surface in a well-ventilated location.
- Make sure the dipstick is down, and the air filter faces up to avoid oil in the upper portion of the motor when you tilt the mower on its side.
- Ensure your mower is turned off and all moveable parts are halted before maintenance, cleaning, or inspections are carried out. You also have to disconnect the spark plug wire on a gasoline-driven mower. Dismantle or remove the security key from your power supply (if equipped). Follow all manufacturer-specified pre-maintenance procedures.
- Spread a drop cloth over the working area.
- Use manufacturer-approved substitutions if you need to replace parts. Please note and have this information alongside your mower’s model number while searching for replacement items.
- You may have to tip the mower on his side for some maintenance tasks. If the mower is driven by petrol or gas, take initial precautions to prevent spills in the fuel. A number of manufacturers use different ways to avoid spills, such as running the mower until the tank dries or putting a piece of heavy plastic under the fuel cap to cover the gasoline intake.
We have listed the most favorite high wheel lawn mowers with the ideal features for our list of the finest high wheel lawn mowers. These are the best lawn mowers on the market today.
These highly recommended high wheel lawn mowers are the top-of-the-line per the many users and customers. But if you happened to disagree with this selection and preferred some other product on the list, we are always open to your view.
You can write your reviews to us, and we will look into the reviews. We appreciate the great value of your feedback. You can show us your support, write your suggestions to us. We would be really happy if you did so.
May you have the best lawn in the neighborhood!
Are Cub Cadet gears good for your lawn mower?
Ans: Yes, Cub Cadet is one of the most-renowned gear makers. You can use Cub Cadet with almost all lawnmowers. The Cub Cadet gears can be used to any of the self propelled mowers on our list.
Can high wheel self-propelled mowers be pushed?
Ans: You can, but this doesn’t add any value to the work they do. They are generally heavier because of the engine. It is not recommended for your safety that you push a self propelled mower.
How much do gas-powered lawn mowers cost?
Ans: Gas powered lawn mowers cost generally range from $150 to $800.
Should lawn mower wheels be the same height?
Ans: Same height wheels are better for some areas, but these can get stuck if there is uneven ground, rough terrain, and even taller grass.
What does variable speed mean on a lawn mower?
Ans: Variable speed means you can control the speed at which the blade rotates. If you have thick and tall grasses, you can use a faster speed for cleaner and frequent cuts.
What is a high wheel push mower?
Ans: Refer to the buying guide for the details on the High wheel push mower.
What is the advantage of a high wheel lawn mower?
Ans: High wheel lawn mowers have more energy than low wheel lawn mowers. Because of the design, these lawn mowers can cut grass on an angled ground and uphill yards.
What is the advantage of large rear wheels on a lawn mower?
Ans: We have covered it in our buying guide section. Please refer to that.
What’s the difference between a high wheel and a low wheel lawn mower?
Ans: We have discussed this in our buying guide. Basically, besides the rear wheels being larger than the front wheel, there are differences in functionality. You can cut grass in elevated areas and slopes easily with a high wheel lawn mower.